Thursday, February 23, 2012

Mum's Favourite Part:

Part Five: Flashback Road Trip, Three Days to Florida.  Characters:  Narrator (Andrea/Daughter), Captain John (Father), and Newt (the-Siamese/Himalayan- cat)

Day 3: February  15, 2012:
As the temperature climbs so does our journey.  We started off two days ago at -7 Celsius, and now at 9:15am in Lake City Georgia it is 17 Celsius.   As we take a break before we cross the state line, we are at Cpt John’s favourite stop: The Yellow Book store where no book is over $3 (USD).  He has his reading list for the year, and sets his timer for 30 min.  I browse between the isles of hard cover piles, and pick out a few for pool side reunions and escapes.  Most notably:  The Great Shark Hunt, Gonzo Papers, Volume 1, by Hunter S. Thompson.

Next stop: Florida State at 10:30am, it is 19 Celsius.


Swannee River, Florida State – birth place to the flora of our stated destination - I rekindle my love with green (as I am refreshed once again).  Trees, ferns, palms; green shoulder seasons in season.  These spiked and dripping leaves drape silver brown furs as Hanging Spanish Moss fill the middle ground of my front and side views.  Today the sky is matted, light grey and our windows fog a similar hue.  It’s muggy. And I like it.

All this while, listening to Dad’s stories of his journey’s and treks with mum all those many times she was his travel companion, and I realize I have never known this layer to their adventures.  It’s real.  It’s new.  I was somewhere else all those other times, travelling my own path and picking my own treasures.   I know you can’t be in two places at once, but I’m glad I can be at least reliving these pieces of my Mother now. 


“Cheers.”  We are at the Florida State Welcome Centre, with our shot size cup of fresh OJ, “Here’s to Mum.”


{Images and Story by: Andrea Currie}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.