Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Paving Time Travel

Part Three: Flashback Road Trip, Three Days to Florida.  Characters:  Narrator (Andrea/Daughter), Captain John (Father), and Newt (the-Siamese/Himalayan- cat)

Day 2: February  14, 2012:
Departing Richmond, Kentucky, heading I-75 South.
Watching the temperature climb from 2 Celsius to 10 Celsius, just outside of Atlanta; then to 14 Celsius in Tifton, Georgia.


It begins with the undulating hills of Kentucky which fold into Tennessee… 


I think of paths.  "Sure paths" are driving directions – a map to follow when we need to get from a new destination from an old landmark; possibly what is really pulling our soul.  And if we are not in the driver’s seat, it is a place where we are only a passenger for the moment.
Life paths. Directions. There is no "sure route" but following landmarks of personal interest and laying the foundation with education and life lessons are our development of listening skills – how we listen to ourselves.

For the longest time I felt idle in the middle of a busy intersection.  Before university, during university and post; I was too concerned with my role in society and how I compared myself with others.  Confidence I have discovered over the years is learned, not earned.   My route is this route, and it’s what makes me smile. 

 

Fill life with love and bliss. Learn from mistakes and listen to your conscience, weigh it with your ego and then follow your heart.
Being part of my mother’s life shows me my path.  As an extension of her life, I am living the in between spaces we shared, but I am growing out of her.  
 
I have been a daughter, a friend, a student, a teacher, a coach, a traveler, a tourist, a writer, an editor, and an artist; I am a daughter, a friend, a student, a teacher, a coach, a traveler, a tourist, a writer, an editor, and an artist.
Find a meld and create.    
 
I always wanted to find “a route” – a mentor to see how they got where I wanted to be so I could mimic and be just as satisfied with my current path, and most logical progression.  But the catch, I never knew what I wanted to be.  So my route – the advice received from a senior and mentor was just that, advice; but it wasn’t my map.  And it wasn’t my route because I wasn't living in the moment, I was too busy looking ahead for something/someone that didn't exist.  
Today, I am following the road that is taking me this way.  I am right here, conscious of what it feels like under my feet and I am grateful for the roads that have brought me here.  I drive with directions and I have a map to follow because I have a destination.  Today, I have a GPS and a dog-eared coiled book with highlighted passages and forgotten segweys with pen and pencil smears that are not mine.  This is a well-loved, used path-finder.  Today, I am alive.
 
Time travels itself into moments of recollection.  Ten years ago if you told me I would be driving to Florida on a sort of personal/business pilgrimage I would have said, of course! Why not!  If you told me why this trip is so important personally, I would have never believed you. 
{Images and Story by: Andrea Currie}

1 comment:

  1. You're blessed when you meet Lady Wisdom,when you make friends with Madame Insight. [note female gender]....She is the very Tree of Life to those who embrace her. Hold her tight - and be blessed! Proverbs 3: 13/18.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.