Friday, July 19, 2013

Another Exhibit!

Thank you McMaster Innovation Park for including myTrees in your current exhibition!



Many artists, colours and perspectives on display until November 14, 2013.

McMaster Innovation Park (MIP)
175 Longwood Road S., Suite 105
Hamilton, ON L8P 0A1



Art is community!
~a.





On display:
Title                    January, 2012 (Sacred Worship – Growth, Decay & Resurrection Series)
    Artist                  Andrea Currie
   Medium             Fine tip black archival ink on cotton canal jute paper
   Size                     15 x 21 
   Contact              andrea@pomonalife.com

January:
January is scaffolding made of bones, molding our beginnings as Nature grows its flesh onto our unique selves. I am standing tall, embracing the breeze.  Oblivious to the cold, I flex my toes on frozen earth.  January is the doorway to a new year - and to an altered Universe.
The elm tree is a symbol of strength.  The first word for this piece is stoic, as I am strong like the bones that form the essence of my authentic self.    I am unafraid, taking a deep breath, as I inhale and absorb a new life.
It is here that I begin my study and my fascination with the skins of trees and their influence on me. My lines are layers, dark and delicate, starting with bare branches; I draw and follow the ink on the page in a layered motion, as if reaching up to the sky for the sun to warm my fingertips.  I am ready for the days ahead of me.  

Title                    October, 2012 (Sacred Worship – Growth, Decay & Resurrection Series)
    Artist                  Andrea Currie
   Medium              Fine tip black archival ink on cotton canal jute paper
   Size                     15 x 21 
   Contact               andrea@pomonalife.com

October:
There is history here.
October is associated with impermanence and awareness.  Finishing this piece last, I struggled with the weight of its sentiment personally and symbolically for this project as a whole.   October is breast cancer awareness month, and, in my research, it is a month of listening.
The yew tree chose me, and I lifted its veil of skin in order to hear properly.
In England, yew trees were planted in churchyards believing that their age and longevity matched their massive root system -- somehow linking the dead with life and life with death.  I picture their roots wrapping around the rocks and bones under the ground in order to connect a voice from long ago.   I have drawn ears in the trunk, removing the skin of the bark, darkening the crevices and shadowing the pits of the stem like bones and flesh tied together with dirt.  Here, I am old enough to tell a story.

Putting forests on walls all over the world... ~a.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.